Apply For Funding
Please read through this page completely before submitting for funding.
About the SEC Fund:
The Student Environment Centre supports many local grassroots initiatives with funding. If you have an idea for a project (event, program, campaign, etc.) that is concerned with sustainability and/or the environment, we would love to hear about it!
Please feel free to fill out one of the funding applications below and send it to email@example.com to be considered for SEC funding. We also highly recommend coming to one of our meetings or scheduling an appointment to present, discuss and answer questions about your funding application. In doing so, the application process can be more conducive for the approval of the proposal.
Please allow at least a month of notice before your initiative’s start date to ensure that we are able to consider your proposal before the project date. Our meetings occur weekly during the academic year, on Mondays at 6pm in Room 2102 of the AMS Student Nest. All funding applications that are submitted within two weeks at a weekly meeting. An email will be sent from us following the submission inviting your organization to join us for the discussion of the proposal.
Requirements for SEC Funding:
- Your project must relate to sustainability or environmental issues, which may be either on or off campus.*
- Your event must be open to all UBC students. Our available funding comes through UBC student fees, and therefore your event should focus primarily on concepts that are applicable for and should be accessible (within reason) to all UBC students.
- You must remain in contact with SEC executives throughout the planning process, during the implementation of the project, and after the project has been completed, to provide us with a summary of how things turned out.
- You must maintain clear financial documentation of your project and provide all requested proof-of-purchases within 2 weeks of your initiative/event in order to receive reimbursements.
- Your project sincerely strives towards zero waste or minimal waste, educates the community on socio-environmental topics, and exemplifies forward thinking sustainable practices.
- You have read and implemented the recommendations in the SEC Fund: Resource Guidelines above.
*Even though your project may not relate directly to the environment, we encourage you to make your event(s) as eco-friendly as possible by referring to the SEC Fund: Resource Guidelines above. In order to promote the culture of sustainability at UBC, we would consider funding events not directly related to environmental issues provided there has been a clear commitment to making the event as sustainable as possible.
Note: for the 2019-2020 academic season, we will not approve funding for airline costs, regardless of the sustainable initiative that is to be attended.
We highly recommend that you be as specific as possible in your application so that we do not have to send it back with additional questions, delaying the process.
How to Submit Funding Applications:
Completed forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or dropped off at our office, Room 2106 of in the AMS Student Nest (within Room 2102). The executive team and other active members of SEC would be happy to help you formulate your project as well as assist with its development and applications for funding.
How to Collect Reimbursements:
If your funding application is approved, SEC will reimburse you for the specified purchases and expenses. You must provide our Treasurer with receipts and/or proof-of-purchases. Reimbursement usually takes about 5 business days and can be picked up from the AMS offices on the 3rd floor of the AMS Student Nest. Please bring a valid ID when you go to collect the reimbursement. In the event that a student is unable to make the necessary purchase(s) to start their project, arrangements for advance funding can be made.